Monday, February 7, 2011

Alignment

Dancing is a universal language and is understood the same in every technique class.  Everyday we attend a ballet or modern class where we focus on certain areas of technical ideas.  However the sense of alignment is always the same for every class and the reminders and corrections are repetitive.  After reading the article "Improving alignment" I realized that the sense of being aligned is the same for every dance.I think that I can take the ideas mentioned in the article and apply to everyday class practice. 

Although the professor is constantly reminding you to engage your abdominal's or watch for rib cage, one tends to forget in the midst of movement. I enjoyed the analogy by Troy Powell- Associate Artistic director of Ailey II, "imagine keeping their sternum, spine, and pelvis in one line between two electrified walls. 'If you sway your back or arch your fibs, you're going to be electrocuted' he says" (par. 6). That is a great way to keep your self aligned, no one wants to be electrocuted.  I'll keep the idea of stacking my bones on top of one another in mind while in class to ensure my alignment is proper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment